Although some questions will have a straightforward set of answers, you can’t always predict how a respondent will to answer. The ‘other’ option allows respondents to enter a personalised answer when they don’t want to pick one from your set list.
Why Use an Other Answer Option?
- Save space when there are too many possible answers to include.
- Avoid creating bias in your survey by forcing respondents to select an answer.
- Highlights responses you may not have predicted.
- Provides you with more information to discuss in your results report.
Why Avoid an Other Answer Option?
- They take more time to analyze than multiple choice answers.
- There use can decrease the statistical significance of the answers you provided.
- There’s a risk respondents will abuse the other answer option by giving irrelevant answers.
Note: The answers you determine should not be any less exhaustive just because the ‘other’ answer option is available.
Whether you your question needs an ‘other’ answer depends on the list of answers you provide. To determine this, test your survey on a sample audience before you launch.
With KwikSurveys’, you are able to use other answer options with the following question types:
- Multi-Choice (Single Select)
- Multi-Choice (Multi-Select)
- Drop Down List
- Matrix (Common Scale)
- Picture Choice (Single Select)
- Picture Choice (Multi-Select)